"Best of The Best" Tasting in New Orleans.
The 9th Annual North American Bourbon and Whiskey Competition occurred in Denver in early July. Approximately one hundred and sixty Bourbon and Whiskeys were judged double-blind by a team of twelve highly experienced, certified spirits judges.
Before the COVID pandemic, Wine Country Network hosted the competition in New Orleans during the same time as the Tales of The Cocktails ™ Festival, providing winners extra exposure at a post-competition trade and media tasting.
Wine Country Network decided to return to New Orleans last month, where it hosted a VIP Trade & Media tasting on Monday, July 24th, at the historic Antoine's Restaurant in New Orleans's French Quarter. The tasting event showcased thirty-two top-scored winners paired with typical Louisiana seafood.
The explosive growth of Bourbon and Whiskey in America has led to supply shortages and allocations of popular products. This tasting offered attendees the opportunity to taste rare and hard-to-find whiskey.
More than sixty-five trade, media, and VIP enthusiasts attended to taste the 2023 top winners.
"Best of Show"-First Place (96 points/ Double Gold)
Savor Spear Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Non-Kentucky Bourbon, Finished with a White Oak Stave. Aged 5 years, 51.5% AbV.
"Best of Show"-Second Place (97 points/ Double Gold)
BHAKTA 2013 Bourbon, 2013 Vintage
9.5 years, 50.3% AbV
"Best of Show"-Third Place (96 points/ Double Gold)
Garrison Brothers Single Barrel Cask Strength Barrel #10081
4 years, 70% AbV
Double Gold Winners:
- Garrison Brothers Balmorhea (95 points)
- King's Family Distillery Wheated Bourbon (95 points)
- Col. E.H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (97 points)
- Col. E. H. Taylor, Jr. Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (96 points)
- Weller Full Proof (96 points)
Gold Medal Winners:
- Brother Justus American Single Malt Cold-Peated Whiskey (94 points)
- Coors Five Trail Blended American Whiskey Blend 002 (91 points)
- Copper Cane Wines & Spirits Gryphon & Grain Straight Rye Whiskey (91 points)
- Copper Sky Distillery Copper Accord Fox Grove American Blended Whiskey (93 points)
- Fat Labrador Distillers Whiskey Town 3-Year-Old Straight Bourbon (91 points)
- FatHouse Bacon Fat Flavored Whiskey (92 points)
- Hinterhaus Distilling American Single Malt Whiskey "Discovery" (91 points)
- King's Family Distillery Toasted Ryeconic (93 points)
- Ole Smoky Whiskey Salty Watermelon (91 points)
- Ole Smoky Distillery James Ownby Reserve Straight Bourbon (91 points)
- Stranahan's Diamond Peak American Single Malt Whiskey (91 points)
- Great Jones-Great Jones Rye (92 points)
- Tin Cup 10-Year-Old Straight Bourbon (92 points)
- RD1 Spirits Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (91 points)
- Robinson Hill USA-Good Trouble Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (92 points)
- A. Smith Bowman-Bowman Brothers Small Batch (93 points)
- Buffalo Trace Distillery Bourbon Cream Liqueur (92 points)
- Eagle Rare 17-Year-Old (92 points)
- Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel Bourbon (91 points)
- Seagram's VO Gold (92 points)
- Uncle Nearest 1884 Small Batch Whiskey (93 points)
- Uncle Nearest Uncut and Unfiltered Straight Rye Whiskey Batch 001(92 points)
- Virginia Distillery Company-Courage & Conviction Sherry Cask Whisky (92 points)
- Virginia Distillery Company-Courage & Conviction Cuvée Single Cask Whisky (93 points)
Oysters, flatbreads, sliders, and chilled shrimp with sauces.
The event was deemed an overwhelming success. The company has promised to return in July 2024 to showcase winners from the tenth annual North American Bourbon and Whiskey Competition.
The North American Bourbon and Whiskey Competition is presented by Wine Country Network, Inc. For the complete list of winners, visit: https://whiskeycomp.com/results/